Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Never Say No

For those of you that are seriously interested in upward mobility, never say no to a new assignment or transfer. Why you ask? You like your current cushy job. You like the people you work with and finally, you are starting to make progress. Why should you move? I will tell you why.

Usually, before you are asked about your interest in a new job, the President or someone at Corporate or your boss or an HR committee has decided that you are the right person for the job. They have also looked at the career value and broadening aspects. Additionally, they have probably thought through who they would replace you with as well as others in the chain. These people have already decided that a move is in your best interests. If you say no, you upset the apple cart and may even set your career backwards. Say yes. Take the new assignment. It will broaden you and the new job will probably be short lived because they will already be thinking about your next assignment. Those that indicate an interest in mobility are the ones that get asked again and again. They are the same ones that rise to the top. Do not, I repeat do not, stay in the same job too long.

One of the sadder human conditions that I have observed is from grown older men who re-play "what might have been" over and over. "If only I had taken the opportunity presented ten years ago." Regrets. Have you had any in your career? Not me. I always said yes to new opportunities. Did I ever question the value of the assignment. Yes, but I always talked it through with my bosses. Was I ever concerned about a transfer to a new location? You bet. But, I always make the most of it. In the process, I grew and developed beyond my wildest expectations. Change is good for you. New assignments will broaden you. Your future potential will be enhanced as a result.

It is never too late to avoid saying no to future opportunities. Avoid regrets later in your life. Don't look back and grumble about what might have been. Say yes!

2 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious - do you think this applies to a position offered to you by another company as well? These days, many opportunities come from the competitor's company, or a new start-up, etc. --Do you still feel the same way? I.e. - jump the chance, never say no?

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Steve (Nick) said...

Excellent question. Not so easily answered. It all depends. In fact, there are so many individual questions that I cannot answer your direct question by way of email. We are all unique and factors not important to me may be show stoppers to you. For example, I would want to know the financial security of the new org versus my current one. Is the location of assignment in a city that I desire? Closer to family members? Earning potential? Where would I report in their structure compared to where I report today? Is the content of the assignment more desirable? Will I have to leave money on the table in my current job? Can a signing bonus with a new company make up for what I leave behind? How close to vesting or tenure am I in my current job? Can I just throw all of that away? Will I have to start all over again on vacation allottment? Will the new company assignment read well on my resume? Will I get along with my new boss and executive group better than my old one? Is the new company culture more desirable than the old one? I could go on but I won't. You get the point. My cup of tea may not be yours. The answer is you should not necessarily jump to a new company just because they are trying to attract you. Definitely consider it and look at it objectively. On the otherhand, never say no to an internal move offered to you by your current company.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home