Sunday, May 01, 2005

But She Has A Great Personality

Be afraid. Be very afraid. In high school, this was code for her looks aren't so good but her personality makes up for it. In business, we might say "all talk but no action" or "he/she is an empty suit." In Texas, we say "all hat no cattle." Personality of course is important but I always get nervous when someone leads with that description of an employee. Tell me about their business competencies. Leadership style? Communication ability? Enthusiasm? Teaming ability? Competitiveness?

In business today, the most common tool that is used to measure personality or "type preference" is the Myers Briggs. Almost everyone has taken it. The funny thing is, most people cannot recall their four letter type. They may remember one or two letters but even so, they cannot explain their meaning. That is a shame because your type can tell you things that you need to work on. For example, I am an ENTJ. We know that ENTJ's need to be careful to recognize other people's contributions since we have a tendency to overlook them. Also, we tend to make fast decisions and ignore some relevant details. So, knowing this, I go out of my way to avoid these pitfalls.

What is your type? How recent have you taken the Myers Briggs? I have taken it many times over the course of the past 15 years and it always comes out ENTJ (Extrovert, intuition, thinking, judgemental) although I am a very slight "E" with some "I " tendencies. Has yours changed? It seldom does but it can. Maybe it is time to take it again? Fortunately, there is now a free online service that you can use and get instantenous results. Try it and compare your results if you remember your previous type.

Click on www.humanmetrics.com and after about twenty minutes of your time, you will see the results. Call or email me if you want to discuss.

1 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Blogger Steve (Nick) said...

Thanks Louise. I agree with the comparison between the Myers Briggs (MBTI) and the Birkman. I too find the Birkman a richer tool for understanding and discussion. As good as the MBTI is, it definitely has its limitations. On a future blog, I intend to talk about the advantages of the Birkman.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home